1872 – 1918
Who was Alexandra Feodorovna?
Alix of Hesse and by Rhine, later Alexandra Feodorovna, was Empress consort of Russia because she was the spouse of Nicholas II, the last Emperor of the Russian Empire. Born a granddaughter of Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom, she was given the name Alexandra Feodorovna upon being received into the Russian Orthodox Church, which canonized her as Saint Alexandra the Passion Bearer in 2000.
Alexandra is best remembered as the last Tsaritsa of Russia, as one of the most famous royal carriers of the haemophilia disease, and for her support of autocratic control over the country. Her friendship with the Russian mystic and holy man, Grigori Rasputin, was also an important factor in her life.
- "War! And I know nothing of it! This is the end of everything."
- "The big brutes, I can not name them differently"
- "Why hate me? Because they know that I have a strong will, and that when I was convinced of the correctness of something (and if I'm blessed Gy [Igor]), then I do not change my opinion, and that is unbearable for them
- “I don’t mind whether a person is rich or poor. Once my friend, always my friend.”
- "People forget that the greatest conqueror is he who conquers himself."
- "Yes, I am more Russian than many others, and I will not sit still"
- "... A country where the man of God helps the emperor, never die. This is true
- “All is in God’s will. The deeper you look, the more you understand that this is so. All sorrows are sent us to free us from our sins or as a test of our faith, an example to others. It requires good food to make plants grow properly and the gardener, walking through His garden, wants to be pleased with His flowers. If they do not grow properly, he takes His pruning knife, and cuts, waiting for the sunshine to coax them into growth again”…
- "I want to beat up almost all the ministers ..."
Use the citation below to add to a bibliography:
"Alexandra Feodorovna." Biographies.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2020. Web. 3 Aug. 2020. <https://www.biographies.net/people/en/alexandra_fyodorovna_of_hesse>.
Discuss this Alexandra Feodorovna biography with the community:
We need you!
Help us build the largest biographies collection on the web!
- Jun 6, 1872
- Also known as
- Alix von Hessen und bei Rhein
- Alix of Hesse
- Alexandra Fyodorovna of Hesse
- Alexandra Feodorovna Romanova
- Tsarita Alexandra Feodorowna Romanov
- Alexandra Romanova
- Nicholas II of Russia
(1894/11/26 - 1918/07/17)
- Nicholas II of Russia
- Russian Orthodox Church
- Eastern Christianity
- Lived in
- Tsarskoye Selo
(1918/04/30 - 1918/07/17)
- Jul 17, 1918
- Resting place
- Peter and Paul Cathedral
on July 23, 2013