Edward Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton
1803 – 1873
Who was Edward Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton?
Edward George Earle Lytton Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton PC, was an English novelist, poet, playwright, and politician. He was immensely popular with the reading public and wrote a stream of bestselling novels which earned him a considerable fortune. He coined the phrases "the great unwashed", "pursuit of the almighty dollar", "the pen is mightier than the sword", "dweller on the threshold", as well as the infamous opening line "It was a dark and stormy night".
- Real philosophy seeks rather to solve than to deny.
- Power is so characteristically calm, that calmness in itself has the aspect of strength.
- A fool flatters himself, a wise man flatters the fool.
- The true spirit of conversation consists in building on another man's observation, not overturning it.
- A fresh mind keeps the body fresh. Take in the ideas of the day, drain off those of yesterday. As to the morrow, time enough to consider it when it becomes today.
- Common sense is only a modification of talent. Genius is an exaltation of it. The difference is, therefore, in degree, not nature.
- There is nothing so agonizing to the fine skin of vanity as the application of a rough truth.
- Anger ventilated often hurries towards forgiveness; anger concealed often hardens into revenge.
- It is difficult to say who do you the most harm: enemies with the worst intentions or friends with the best.
- In science read the newest works, in literature read the oldest.
Use the citation below to add to a bibliography:
"Edward Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton." Biographies.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2021. Web. 22 Apr. 2021. <https://www.biographies.net/people/en/edward_bulwer_lytton_1st_baron_lytton>.
We need you!
Help us build the largest biographies collection on the web!
- May 25, 1803
- Also known as
- Edward Bulwer
- Edward Bulwer Lytton Lytton
- Edward Bulwer Lytton
- Lord Lytton
- Sir Edward Bulwer-Lytton, Lord Lytton
- Sir Edward Earle Bulwer-Lytton
- Pisistratus Caxton
- Edward Lytton
- E. Bulwer Lytton
- Rosina Bulwer Lytton
(1827/08/29 - 1836)
- Rosina Bulwer Lytton
- Trinity Hall, Cambridge
- Trinity College, Cambridge
- Jan 18, 1873
on July 23, 2013