1918 – 2002
Who was Eppie Friedman?
Esther Pauline "Eppie" Lederer, better known by the pen name Ann Landers, was an American advice columnist and eventually a nationwide media celebrity who began her career writing the 'Ask Ann Landers' column in 1955. She wrote the column for 47 years, by which time its readership was 90 million people. A 1978 World Almanac survey named her the most influential woman in the United States. She was the twin sister to Pauline Phillips, aka Abigail Van Buren, known for writing the 'Dear Abby' column.
- Class is an aura of confidence that is being sure without being cocky. Class has nothing to do with money. Class never runs scared. It is self-discipline and self-knowledge. It's the sure footedness that comes with having proved you can meet life.
- Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.
- Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.
- Trouble is the common denominator of living. It is the great equalizer.
- Maturity: Be able to stick with a job until it is finished. Be able to bear an injustice without having to get even. Be able to carry money without spending it. Do your duty without being supervised.
- We need not fear life, because God is the Ruler of all and we need not fear death, because He shares immortality with us.
- At every party there are two kinds of people -- those who want to go home and those who don't. The trouble is, they are usually married to each other.
- The trouble with talking too fast is you may say something you haven't thought of yet.
- The Lord gave us two ends -- one to sit on and the other to think with. Success depends on which one we use the most.
- What the vast majority of American children needs is to stop being pampered, stop being indulged, stop being chauffeured, stop being catered to. In the final analysis it is not what you do for your children but what you have taught them to do for themselves that will make them successful human beings.
We need you!
Help us build the largest biographies collection on the web!
- Jul 4, 1918
- Also known as
- Esther \\"Eppie\\" Pauline Friedman Lederer
- Ann Landers
- Esther "Eppie" Pauline Friedman Lederer
- Esther Friedman Lederer
- Eppie Lederer
- Ann Landers II
- United States of America
- Morningside College
(1936 - 1939)
- Morningside College
(1955 - 1987/02)
- Columnist, Tribune Company
(1987/02 - )
- Columnist, Sun-Times Media Group
(1955 - 1987)
- Lived in
- Sioux City
- Jun 22, 2002
on July 23, 2013
Use the citation below to add to a bibliography:
"Eppie Friedman." Biographies.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2022. Web. 18 Aug. 2022. <https://www.biographies.net/people/en/eppie_friedman>.