Who is Erica Jong?
- Every country gets the circus it deserves. Spain gets bullfights. Italy the Church. America Hollywood.
- Do you want me to tell you something really subversive? Love is everything it's cracked up to be. That's why people are so cynical about it. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for. And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more.
- Growing up female in America. What a liability! You grew up with your ears full of cosmetic ads, love songs, advice columns, whoreoscopes, Hollywood gossip, and moral dilemmas on the level of TV soap operas. What litanies the advertisers of the good life chanted at you! What curious catechisms!
- Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow the talent to the dark place where it leads.
- To name oneself is the first act of both the poet and the revolutionary. When we take away the right to an individual name, we symbolically take away the right to be an individual. Immigration officials did this to refugees; husbands routinely do it to wives.
- Men and women, women and men; it will never work.
- Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't.
- There is simply no dignified way for a woman to live alone. Oh, she can get along financially perhaps (though not nearly as well as a man), but emotionally she is never left in peace. Her friends, her family, her fellow workers never let her forget that her husbandlessness, her childlessness -- her selfishness, in short -- is a reproach to the American way of life.
- Friends love misery, in fact. Sometimes, especially if we are too lucky or too successful or too pretty, our misery is the only thing that endears us to our friends.
- Every country gets the circus it deserves. Spain gets bullfights. Italy gets the Catholic Church. America gets Hollywood.
Use the citation below to add to a bibliography:
We need you!
Help us build the largest biographies collection on the web!
- Mar 26, 1942
- Also known as
- Erica Weisman
- Jong, Erica
- United States of America
- Barnard College
- Columbia University
- Lived in
- New York City
on July 23, 2013