Jerome K. Jerome
1859 – 1927
Who was Jerome K. Jerome?
- It is impossible to enjoy idling thoroughly unless one has plenty of work to do.
- I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours. I love to keep it by me; the idea of getting rid of it nearly breaks my heart.
- It is so pleasant to come across people more stupid than ourselves. We love them at once for being so.
- It is in our faults and failings, not in our virtues, that we touch each other, and find sympathy. It is in our follies that we are one.
- Nothing is more beautiful than the love that has weathered the storms of life. The love of the young for the young, that is the beginning of life. But the love of the old for the old, that is the beginning of things longer.
- We are so bound together that no man can labor for himself alone. Each blow he strikes in his own behalf helps to mold the universe.
- I attribute the quarrelsome nature of the Middle Ages young men entirely to the want of the soothing weed.
- The shy man does have some slight revenge upon society for the torture it inflicts upon him. He is able, to a certain extent, to communicate his misery. He frightens other people as much as they frighten him. He acts like a damper upon the whole room, and the most jovial spirits become, in his presence, depressed and nervous.
- Some people are under the impression that all that is required to make a good fisherman is the ability to tell lies easily and without blushing; but this is a mistake. Mere bald fabrication is useless; the veriest tyro can manage that. It is in the circumstantial detail, the embellishing touches of probability, the general air of scrupulous -- almost of pedantic -- veracity, that the experienced angler is seen.
- I want a house that has got over all its troubles; I don't want to spend the rest of my life bringing up a young and inexperienced house.
Use the citation below to add to a bibliography:
"Jerome K. Jerome." Biographies.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2020. Web. 31 Mar. 2020. <https://www.biographies.net/people/en/jerome_k_jerome>.