Who is Deepak Chopra?
Deepak Chopra is an Indian-American author, public speaker and physician. A prominent alternative-medicine advocate and author of several dozen books and videos, he has become one of the best-known and wealthiest figures in the holistic-health movement and has been described as a New-Age guru.
Chopra obtained his medical degree in India before emigrating in 1970 to the United States, where he specialized in endocrinology and became Chief of Staff at the New England Memorial Hospital. In the 1980s he began practicing transcendental meditation and in 1985 resigned his position at NEMH to establish the Maharishi Ayurveda Health Center. Chopra left the TM movement in 1994 and founded the Chopra Center for Wellbeing.
Combining principles from Ayurveda and mainstream medicine, Chopra's approach to health incorporates ideas about the mind-body relationship, a belief in teleology in nature and a belief in the primacy of consciousness over matter – that "consciousness creates reality." He claims that his practices can extend the human lifespan and treat chronic disease.
- Happiness is a continuation of happenings which are not resisted.
- Nothing is more important than reconnecting with your bliss. Nothing is as rich. Nothing is more real.
- The physical world, including our bodies, is a response of the observer. We create our bodies as we create the experience of our world.
- To think is to practice brain chemistry.
- We are not victims of aging, sickness and death. These are part of scenery, not the seer, who is immune to any form of change. This seer is the spirit, the expression of eternal being.
- There is always one moment in childhood when the door opens and lets the future in.
- Every person is a God in embryo. Its only desire is to be born.
- The possibility of stepping into a higher plane is quite real for everyone. It requires no force or effort or sacrifice. It involves little more than changing our ideas about what is normal.
- The less you open your heart to others, the more your heart suffers.
- Silence is the great teacher, and to learn its lessons you must pay attention to it. There is no substitute for the creative inspiration, knowledge, and stability that come from knowing how to contact your core of inner silence. The great Sufi poet Rumi wrote, Only let the moving waters calm down, and the sun and moon will be reflected on the surface of your being.
Use the citation below to add to a bibliography:
"Deepak Chopra." Biographies.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2021. Web. 24 Jan. 2021. <https://www.biographies.net/people/en/deepak_chopra>.
We need you!
Help us build the largest biographies collection on the web!
- Oct 22, 1947
- Also known as
- Dr. Deepak Chopra
- Rita Chopra
(1970 - )
- Rita Chopra
- United States of America
- St. Columba's School, Delhi
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences
on July 23, 2013