1878 – 1937
Who was Don Marquis?
Donald Robert Perry Marquis was a humorist, journalist, and author. He was variously a novelist, poet, newspaper columnist, and playwright. He is remembered best for creating the characters "Archy" and "Mehitabel", supposed authors of humorous verse. During his lifetime he was equally famous for creating another fictitious character, "the Old Soak," who was the subject of two books, a hit Broadway play, a silent movie and a talkie.
- Blood will tell, but often it tells too much.
- Between the years of ninety-two and a hundred and two, however, we shall be the ribald, useless, drunken, outcast person we have always wished to be. We shall have a long white beard and long white hair; we shall not walk at all, but recline in a wheel chair and bellow for alcoholic beverages; in the winter we shall sit before the fire with our feet in a bucket of hot water, a decanter of corn whiskey near at hand, and write ribald songs against organized society; strapped to one arm of our chair will be a forty-five calibre revolver, and we shall shoot out the lights when we want to go to sleep, instead of turning them off; when we want air we shall throw a silver candlestick through the front window and be damned to it; we shall address public meetings in a vein of jocund malice. We shall but we dont wish to make any one envious of the good time that is coming to us We look forward to a disreputable, vigorous, unhonoured, and disorderly old age.
- Happiness is the interval between periods of unhappiness.
- Honesty is a good thing, but it is not profitable to its possessor unless it is kept under control.
- prohibition makes you want to cry into your beer and denies you the beer to cry into
- When a man tells you that he got rich through hard work, ask him whose?
- A fierce unrest seethes at the core, of all existing things:, it was the eager wish to soar, that gave the gods their wings.
- There is nothing so habit-forming as money.
- We pay for the mistakes of our ancestors, and it seems only fair that they should leave us the money to pay with.
- Successful people are the ones who think up things for the rest of the world to keep busy at.