1852 – 1940
Who was Edwin Markham?
- There is a destiny that makes us brothers, No one goes his way alone; All that we send into the lives of others, Comes back into our own.
- Ah, great it is to believe the dream as we stand in youth by the starry stream; but a greater thing is to fight life through and say at the end, the dream is true!
- For all your days be prepared, and meet them ever alike. When you are the anvil, bear -- when you are the hammer, strike.
- We have committed the Golden Rule to memory; let us now commit it to life.
- The crest and crowning of all good, Life's final star, is Brotherhood.
- The thing that is incredible is life itself. Why should we be here in this sun-illuminated universe? Why should there be green earth under our feet?
- We all are blind until we seeThat in the human planNothing is worth the making ifIt does not make the man. Why build these cities gloriousIf man unbuilded goes?In vain we build the world, unlessThe builder also grows.
- Bowed by the weight of centuries he leans upon his hoe and gazes on the ground, the emptiness of ages in his face, and on his back the burden of the world.
- And when he fell in whirlwind, he went downAs when a lordly cedar, green with boughs,Goes down with a great shout upon the hills,And leaves a lonesome place against the sky.
- I fear the vermin that shall undermineSenate and citadel and school and shrine.
Use the citation below to add to a bibliography:
"Edwin Markham." Biographies.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2021. Web. 22 Jan. 2021. <https://www.biographies.net/people/en/edwin_markham>.