Ella Wheeler Wilcox
1850 – 1919
Who was Ella Wheeler Wilcox?
Ella Wheeler Wilcox was an American author and poet. Her best-known work was Poems of Passion. Her most enduring work was "The Way Of The World", which contains the lines, "Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Her autobiography, The Worlds and I, was published in 1918, a year before her death.
- One ship drives east and other drives west by the same winds that blow. It's the set of the sails and not the gales that determines the way they go.
- It is easy enough to be virtuous When nothing tempts you to stray; When without or within No voice of sin Is luring your soul away. But it is only a negative virtue until it is tried by fire. For the soul that is worth the treasures of the earth is the soul that resists desire.
- It is easy enough to be pleasant, When life flows by like a song. But the man worth while is the one who can smile, when everything goes dead wrong. For the test of the heart is troubled, And it always comes with the years. And the smiles that is worth the praises of earth is the smile that shines through tears.
- With care, and skill, and cunning art, She parried Time's malicious dart, And kept the years at bay, Till passion entered in her heart and aged her in a day!
- 'Tis easy enough to be pleasant, When life flows along like a song; But the man worth while is the one who will smile when everything goes dead wrong.
- The truest greatness lies in being kind, the truest wisdom in a happy mind.
- It has ever been since time began, and ever will be, till time lose breath, that love is a mood --no more --to man, and love to a woman is life or death.
- So many gods, so many creeds, So many paths that wind and wind, While just the art of being kind is all the sad world needs.
- A pat on the back is only a few vertebrae removed from a kick in the pants, but is miles ahead in results.
- With every deed you are sowing a seed, though the harvest you may not see.
We need you!
Help us build the largest biographies collection on the web!
Use the citation below to add to a bibliography:
"Ella Wheeler Wilcox." Biographies.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2021. Web. 30 Jul 2021. <https://www.biographies.net/people/en/ella_wheeler_wilcox>.