Who is Gloria Steinem?
Gloria Marie Steinem is an American feminist, journalist, and social and political activist who became nationally recognized as a leader of, and media spokeswoman for, the women's liberation movement in the late 1960s and 1970s. A prominent writer and key counterculture era political figure, Steinem has founded many organizations and projects and has been the recipient of many awards and honors. She was a columnist for New York magazine and co-founded Ms. magazine. In 1969, she published an article, "After Black Power, Women's Liberation", which, along with her early support of abortion rights, catapulted her to national fame as a feminist leader.
In 2005, Steinem worked alongside Jane Fonda and Robin Morgan to co-found the Women's Media Center, an organization that works to amplify the voices of women in the media through advocacy, media and leadership training, and the creation of original content. Steinem currently serves on the board of the organization. She continues to involve herself in politics and media affairs as a commentator, writer, lecturer, and organizer, campaigning for candidates and reforms and publishing books and articles.
- Most American children suffer too much mother and too little father.
- We can tell our values by looking at our checkbook stubs.
- Pornography is about dominance. Erotica is about mutuality.
- The family is the basic cell of government: it is where we are trained to believe that we are human beings or that we are chattel, it is where we are trained to see the sex and race divisions and become callous to injustice even if it is done to ourselves, to accept as biological a full system of authoritarian government.
- Any woman who chooses to behave like a full human being should be warned that the armies of the status quo will treat her as something of a dirty joke. That's their natural and first weapon. She will need her sisterhood.
- The first problem for all of us, men and women, is not to learn, but to unlearn.
- America is an enormous frosted cupcake in the middle of millions of starving people.
- The only thing I can't stand is discomfort.
- The authority of any governing institution must stop at its citizen's skin.
- Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don't feel I should be doing something else.
Use the citation below to add to a bibliography:
"Gloria Steinem." Biographies.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2020. Web. 7 Apr. 2020. <https://www.biographies.net/people/en/gloria_steinem>.
Discuss this Gloria Steinem biography with the community:
We need you!
Help us build the largest biographies collection on the web!
- Mar 25, 1934
- Also known as
- Gloria Marie Steinem
- David Bale
(2000/09/03 - 2003/12/30)
- David Bale
- Jewish people
- United States of America
- Smith College
( - 1956)
- Waite High School
- Smith College
(1962 - )
- Warren Publishing
(1960 - )
- New York Media, LLC
(1968 - )
- Lived in
on July 23, 2013