Entrepreneur, Organization leader
1910 – 1997
Who was Harold Geneen?
- Do you want my one-word secret of happiness -- It's growth -- mental, financial, you name it.
- I don't believe in just ordering people to do things. You have to sort of grab an oar and row with them.
- It is much more difficult to measure non-performance than performance. Performance stands out like a ton of diamonds. Non-performance can almost always be explained away.
- In business, words are words; explanations are explanations, promises are promises, but only performance is reality.
- It's better to take over and build upon an existing business than to start a new one.
- I think it is an immutable law in business that words are words, explanations are explanations, promises are promises -- but only performance is reality.
- Management manages by making decisions and by seeing that those decisions are implemented.
- The worst disease which can afflict executives in their work is not, as popularly supposed, alcoholism; it's egotism.
- In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins: cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later.
- You can't run a business or anything else on a theory.
We need you!
Help us build the largest biographies collection on the web!
Use the citation below to add to a bibliography:
"Harold Geneen." Biographies.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2022. Web. 25 Jun 2022. <https://www.biographies.net/people/en/harold_geneen>.