1902 – 1968
Who was John Steinbeck?
John Ernst Steinbeck, Jr. was an American writer. He is widely known for the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel The Grapes of Wrath, East of Eden and the novella Of Mice and Men. As the author of twenty-seven books, including sixteen novels, six non-fiction books, and five collections of short stories, Steinbeck received the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1962.
- Lord, how the day passes! It is like a life, so quickly when we don't watch it, and so slowly if we do.
- The profession of book writing makes horse racing seem like a solid, stable business.
- How can we live without our lives? How will we know its us without our past?
- Even while I protest the assembly-line production of our food, our songs, our language, and eventually our souls, I know that it was a rare home that baked good bread in the old days. Mother's cooking was with rare exceptions poor, that good unpasteurized milk touched only by flies and bits of manure crawled with bacteria, the healthy old-time life was riddled with aches, sudden death from unknown causes, and that sweet local speech I mourn was the child of illiteracy and ignorance. It is the nature of a man as he grows older, a small bridge in time, to protest against change, particularly change for the better.
- The new American finds his challenge and his love in the traffic-choked streets, skies nested in smog, choking with the acids of industry, the screech of rubber and houses leashed in against one another while the town lets wither a time and die.
- Writers are a little below the clowns and a little above the trained seals.
- Texas is not a state -- it's a state of mind.
- If you're in trouble, or hurt or need -- go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help -- the only ones.
- A book is like a man -- clever and dull, brave and cowardly, beautiful and ugly. For every flowering thought there will be a page like a wet and mangy mongrel, and for every looping flight a tap on the wing and a reminder that wax cannot hold the feathers firm too near the sun.
- The discipline of the written word punishes both stupidity and dishonesty.
Use the citation below to add to a bibliography:
"John Steinbeck." Biographies.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2021. Web. 24 Jan. 2021. <https://www.biographies.net/people/en/john_steinbeck>.
We need you!
Help us build the largest biographies collection on the web!
- Feb 27, 1902
- Also known as
- John Ernst Steinbeck
- Steinbeck, John
- John Ernst Steinbeck, Jr.
- United States of America
- Stanford University
( - 1925)
- Salinas High School
( - 1919)
- Stanford University
- Lived in
- Dec 20, 1968
New York City
- Resting place
on July 23, 2013