American Football coach, American football head coach
Who is Lou Holtz?
Louis Leo "Lou" Holtz is a retired American football coach, and active sportscaster, author, and motivational speaker. He served as the head football coach at The College of William & Mary, North Carolina State University, the University of Arkansas, the University of Minnesota, the University of Notre Dame, and the University of South Carolina, compiling a career record of 249–132–7. Holtz's 1988 Notre Dame team went 12–0 with a victory in the Fiesta Bowl and was the consensus national champion. Holtz is the only college football coach to lead six different programs to bowl games and the only coach to guide four different programs to the final top 20 rankings. Holtz also coached the New York Jets of the NFL during the 1976 season.
Over the years, the slender, bespectacled Holtz has become known for his quick wit and ability to inspire players. He is often found as a guest on the popular Richmond, Virginia based Kain Road Radio. In 2005, Holtz joined ESPN as a college football analyst. On May 1, 2008, Holtz was elected to the College Football Hall of Fame.
- The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it.
- If you're bored with life -- you don't get up every morning with a burning desire to do things -- you don't have enough goals.
- When all is said and done, more is said than done.
- Don't be a spectator, don't let life pass you by.
- Do right. Do your best. Treat others as you want to be treated.
- I think everyone should experience defeat at least once during their career. You learn a lot from it.
- Coaching is nothing more than eliminating mistakes before you get fired.
- Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.
- If he's got golf clubs in his truck or a camper in his driveway, I don't hire him.
- Don't tell your problems to people: eighty percent don't care; and the other twenty percent are glad you have them.
Use the citation below to add to a bibliography:
Discuss this Lou Holtz biography with the community:
We need you!
Help us build the largest biographies collection on the web!
- Jan 6, 1937
- Also known as
- Louis Leo Holtz
- Boo Hoo Lou
- Beth Barcus
(1961/07/22 - )
- Beth Barcus
- United States of America
- Kent State University
- East Liverpool High School