Ludwig van Beethoven
1770 – 1827
Who was Ludwig van Beethoven?
Ludwig van Beethoven was a German composer and pianist. A crucial figure in the transition between the Classical and Romantic eras in Western art music, he remains one of the most famous and influential of all composers. His best known compositions include 9 symphonies, 5 concertos for piano, 32 piano sonatas, and 16 string quartets. He also composed other chamber music, choral works, and songs.
Born in Bonn, then the capital of the Electorate of Cologne and part of the Holy Roman Empire, Beethoven displayed his musical talents at an early age and was taught by his father Johann van Beethoven and Christian Gottlob Neefe. During his first 22 years in Bonn, Beethoven intended to study with Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and befriended Joseph Haydn. Beethoven moved to Vienna in 1792 and began studying with Haydn, quickly gaining a reputation as a virtuoso pianist. He lived in Vienna until his death. In about 1800 his hearing began to deteriorate, and by the last decade of his life he was almost totally deaf. He gave up conducting and performing in public but continued to compose; many of his most admired works come from this period.
- Music should strike fire from the heart of man, and bring tears form the eyes of woman.
- Friends applaud, the comedy is over.
- No one should drive a hard bargain with an artist.
- Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.
- Nothing is more intolerable than to have to admit to yourself your own errors.
- Never shall I forget the time I spent with you. Please continue to be my friend, as you will always find me yours.
- Art! Who comprehends her? With whom can one consult concerning this great goddess?
- Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life.
- The barriers are not erected which can say to aspiring talents and industry, Thus far and no farther.
We need you!
Help us build the largest biographies collection on the web!
- Dec 16, 1770
- Also known as
- Ludvig Von Beethoven
- L. van Beethoven
- L.V. Beethoven
- Ludwig von Beethoven
- L.W. Beethoven
- Austrian Empire
- Lived in
(1770 - 1792)
(1792 - 1827)
- Mar 26, 1827
- Resting place
on July 23, 2013
Use the citation below to add to a bibliography:
"Ludwig van Beethoven." Biographies.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2021. Web. 3 Dec. 2021. <https://www.biographies.net/people/en/ludwig_van_beethoven>.