1664 – 1721
Who was Matthew Prior?
- Cured yesterday of my disease, I died last night of my physician.
- Who walks the fastest, but walks astray, is only furthest from his way.
- Be to their virtue very kind; be to their faults a little blind.
- And 'tis remarkable that they talk most who have the least to say.
- Fantastic tyrant of the amorous heart. How hard thy yoke, how cruel thy dart. Those escape your anger who refuse your sway, and those are punished most, who most obey.
- Odds life! must one swear to the truth of a song?
- Hopes are but the dreams of those that wake.
- They talk most who have the least to say.
- Forbear to mention what thou canst not praise.
- In argument similes are like songs in love; they describe much, but prove nothing.
Use the citation below to add to a bibliography:
"Matthew Prior." Biographies.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2020. Web. 4 Apr. 2020. <https://www.biographies.net/people/en/matthew_prior>.