P. J. O'Rourke
Who is P. J. O'Rourke?
Patrick Jake "P. J." O'Rourke is an American political satirist, journalist, writer, and author. O'Rourke is the H. L. Mencken Research Fellow at the Cato Institute and is a regular correspondent for The Atlantic Monthly, The American Spectator, and The Weekly Standard, and frequent panelist on National Public Radio's game show Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!. In the United Kingdom, he is known as the face of a long-running series of television advertisements for British Airways in the 1990s.
He is the author of 17 books, of which his latest, Holidays in Heck, was released November 1, 2011. This was preceded on September 21, 2010, by Don't Vote!-It Just Encourages the Bastards, and on September 1, 2009, Driving Like Crazy with a reprint edition published on May 11, 2010. According to a 60 Minutes profile, he is also the most quoted living man in The Penguin Dictionary of Modern Humorous Quotations.
- Skiing consists of wearing $3,000 worth of clothes and equipment and driving 200 miles in the snow in order to stand around at a bar and drink.
- These were people who believed everything about the Soviet Union was perfect, but they were bringing their own toilet paper.
- The Soviet constitution guarantees everyone a job. A pretty scary idea, I'd say.
- Everybody wants to save the earth; nobody wants to help Mom do the dishes.
- To grasp the true meaning of socialism, imagine a world where everything is designed by the post office, even the sleaze.
- When it comes to taking chances, some people like to play poker or shoot dice; other people prefer to parachute jump, go rhino hunting, or climb ice floes, while still others engage in crime or marriage. But I like to get drunk and drive like a fool. Name me, if you can, a better feeling than the one you get when you're half a bottle of Chivas in the bag with a gram of coke up your nose, and a teen-age lovely pulling off her tube top in the next seat over while you're going a hundred miles an hour down a suburban sidestreet. You'd have to watch the entire Mexican air force crash-land in a liquid petroleum gas storage facility to match this kind of thrill. If you ever have much more fun than that, you'll die of pure sensory overload, I'm here to tell you.
- The Institute of U.S. and Canadian Studies is supposed to have subscribed to the "Village Voice" for six years in an attempt to find out about life in America's rural areas.
- I'm a registered Republican and consider socialism a violation of the American principle that you shouldn't stick your nose in other people's business except to make a buck.
- Smoking cigarettes seems to alarm peace activists much more than voting for Reagan does.
- Anything that makes your mother cry is fun.
We need you!
Help us build the largest biographies collection on the web!
- Nov 14, 1947
- Also known as
- Patrick Jake O'Rourke
- United States of America
- Johns Hopkins University
- Miami University
- Lived in
on July 23, 2013