Richard Brinsley Sheridan
1751 – 1816
Who was Richard Brinsley Sheridan?
Richard Brinsley Butler Sheridan was an Irish playwright and poet and long-term owner of the London Theatre Royal, Drury Lane. He is known for his plays such as The Rivals, The School for Scandal and A Trip to Scarborough. For thirty-two years he was also a Whig Member of the British House of Commons for Stafford, Westminster and Ilchester. He was buried at Poets' Corner in Westminster Abbey.
- He is indebted to his memory for his jests and to his imagination for his facts.
- Modesty is a quality in a lover more praised by the women than liked.
- For if there is anything to one's praise, it is foolish vanity to be gratified at it, and if it is abuse -- why one is always sure to hear of it from one damned good-natured friend or another!
- Take care; you know I am compliance itself, when I am not thwarted! No one more easily led, when I have my own way; but don't put me in a frenzy.
- When of a gossiping circle it was asked, What are they doing? The answer was, Swapping lies.
- He is the very pineapple of politeness!
- There's no possibility of being witty without a little ill-nature -- the malice of a good thing is the barb that makes it stick.
- My valor is certainly going, it is sneaking off! I feel it oozing out as it were, at the palms of my hands!
- There is nothing on earth so easy as to forget, if a person chooses to set about it. I'm sure I have as much forgot your poor, dear uncle, as if he had never existed; and I thought it my duty to do so.
- The Right Honourable Gentleman is indebted to his memory for his jests, and to his imagination for his facts.
We need you!
Help us build the largest biographies collection on the web!
- Oct 30, 1751
- Also known as
- Richard Sheridan
- Richard Brinsley Butler Sheridan
- R. B. Sheridan
- Richard B. Sheridan
- Republic of Ireland
- Harrow School
- Lived in
- County Dublin
- Jul 7, 1816
- Resting place
- Westminster Abbey
on July 23, 2013
Use the citation below to add to a bibliography:
"Richard Brinsley Sheridan." Biographies.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2021. Web. 30 Jul 2021. <https://www.biographies.net/people/en/richard_brinsley_sheridan>.