Richard Brinsley Sheridan
1751 – 1816
Who was Richard Brinsley Sheridan?
Richard Brinsley Butler Sheridan was an Irish playwright and poet and long-term owner of the London Theatre Royal, Drury Lane. He is known for his plays such as The Rivals, The School for Scandal and A Trip to Scarborough. For thirty-two years he was also a Whig Member of the British House of Commons for Stafford, Westminster and Ilchester. He was buried at Poets' Corner in Westminster Abbey.
- He is indebted to his memory for his jests and to his imagination for his facts.
- Modesty is a quality in a lover more praised by the women than liked.
- For if there is anything to one's praise, it is foolish vanity to be gratified at it, and if it is abuse -- why one is always sure to hear of it from one damned good-natured friend or another!
- Take care; you know I am compliance itself, when I am not thwarted! No one more easily led, when I have my own way; but don't put me in a frenzy.
- When of a gossiping circle it was asked, What are they doing? The answer was, Swapping lies.
- He is the very pineapple of politeness!
- There's no possibility of being witty without a little ill-nature -- the malice of a good thing is the barb that makes it stick.
- My valor is certainly going, it is sneaking off! I feel it oozing out as it were, at the palms of my hands!
- There is nothing on earth so easy as to forget, if a person chooses to set about it. I'm sure I have as much forgot your poor, dear uncle, as if he had never existed; and I thought it my duty to do so.
- The Right Honourable Gentleman is indebted to his memory for his jests, and to his imagination for his facts.
Use the citation below to add to a bibliography:
"Richard Brinsley Sheridan." Biographies.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2019. Web. 21 Aug. 2019. <https://www.biographies.net/people/en/richard_brinsley_sheridan>.
Discuss this Richard Brinsley Sheridan biography with the community:
We need you!
Help us build the largest biographies collection on the web!
- Oct 30, 1751
- Also known as
- Richard Sheridan
- Richard Brinsley Butler Sheridan
- R. B. Sheridan
- Richard B. Sheridan
- Republic of Ireland
- Harrow School
- Lived in
- County Dublin
- Jul 7, 1816
- Resting place
- Westminster Abbey
on July 23, 2013