1911 – 2004
Who was Ronald Reagan?
Born in Tampico, Illinois, and raised in Dixon, Reagan was educated at Eureka College, earning a Bachelor of Arts degree in economics and sociology. After graduating, Reagan moved first to Iowa to work as a radio broadcaster and then, in 1937, to Los Angeles where he began a career as an actor, first in films and later television. Some of his most notable films include Knute Rockne, All American, Kings Row, and Bedtime for Bonzo. Reagan served as President of the Screen Actors Guild and later as a spokesman for General Electric; his start in politics occurred during his work for GE. Originally a member of the Democratic Party, his positions began shifting rightward in the 1950s, and he switched to the Republican Party in 1962.
After delivering a rousing speech in support of Barry Goldwater's presidential candidacy in 1964, he was persuaded to seek the California governorship, winning two years later and again in 1970. He was defeated in his run for the Republican presidential nomination in 1968 and in 1976, but won both the nomination and general election in 1980, defeating incumbent Jimmy Carter.
- My philosophy of life is that if we make up our mind what we are going to make of our lives, then work hard toward that goal, we never lose -- somehow we win out
- Freedom prospers when religion is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged.
- We're in greater danger today than we were the day after Pearl Harbor. Our military is absolutely incapable of defending this country.
- Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have. It is a weapon that we as Americans do have. Let that be understood by those who practice terrorism and prey upon their neighbours.
- We can not play innocents abroad in a world that is not innocent.
- Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book.
- Surround yourself with the best people you can find, delegate authority, and don't interfere.
- Unemployment insurance is a pre-paid vacation for freeloaders.
- Approximately 80 % of our air pollution stems from hydrocarbons released by vegetation, so let's not go overboard in setting and enforcing tough emission standards from man-made sources.
- Today, if you invent a better mousetrap, the government comes along with a better mouse.
We need you!
Help us build the largest biographies collection on the web!
- Feb 6, 1911
- Also known as
- Ronald Wilson Reagan
- Ronald. Reagan
- The Gipper
- The Great Communicator
- The Teflon President
- Governor Reagan
- Governor Ronald Reagan
- Lt. Ronald Reagan
- Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
- Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
- Scottish American
- Caucasian race
- United States of America
- Eureka College
( - 1932)
- Dixon High School
- Eureka College
- President, Federal government of the United States
- Jun 5, 2004
- Resting place
- Ronald Reagan Presidential Library
on July 23, 2013
Use the citation below to add to a bibliography:
"Ronald Reagan." Biographies.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2021. Web. 23 Jul 2021. <https://www.biographies.net/people/en/ronald_reagan>.