Entrepreneur, TV Producer
1901 – 1966
Who was Walt Disney?
Walter Elias "Walt" Disney was an American animator, film producer, director, screenwriter, voice actor, entrepreneur, entertainer, international icon, and philanthropist, well known for his influence in the field of entertainment during the 20th century. Along with his brother Roy O. Disney, he co-founded the Walt Disney Productions, which later became one of the best-known motion picture producers in the world. The corporation is now known as The Walt Disney Company and had an annual revenue of approximately US$36 billion in the 2010 financial year.
Disney was particularly noted as a film producer and a popular showman, as well as an innovator in animation and theme park design. He and his staff created some of the world's most well-known fictional characters including Mickey Mouse, for whom Disney himself provided the original voice. During his lifetime he received four honorary Academy Awards and won 22 Academy Awards from a total of 59 nominations, including a record four in one year, giving him more awards and nominations than any other individual in history. Disney also won seven Emmy Awards and gave his name to the Disneyland and Walt Disney World Resort theme parks in the U.S., as well as the international resorts like Tokyo Disney Resort, Disneyland Paris, and Hong Kong Disneyland.
- I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
- I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known.
- The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique.
- It's kind of fun to do the impossible.
- Somehow I can't believe that there are any heights that can't be scaled by a man who knows the secrets of making dreams come true. This special secret, it seems to me, can be summarized in four C s. They are curiosity, confidence, courage, and constancy, and the greatest of all is confidence. When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
- You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
- I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things.
- You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it requires people to make the dream a reality.
- All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
- We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.
Use the citation below to add to a bibliography:
We need you!
Help us build the largest biographies collection on the web!
- Dec 5, 1901
- Also known as
- Walter Elias Disney
- Retlaw Yensid
- Retlaw Elias Yensid
- Mr. Disney
- Uncle Walt
- Disney Walt
- Walter Disney
- Mickey Mouse
- Walter Elias "Walt" Disney
- Lillian Disney
(1925/07/13 - 1966/12/15)
- Lillian Disney
- Irish Canadian
- German American
- United States of America
- Benton Grammar School
- Kansas City Art Institute
- School of the Art Institute of Chicago
- Founder, Walt Disney Animation Studios
- Co-Founder, The Walt Disney Company
- Co-Founder, Iwerks-Disney Commercial Artists
- Kansas City Film Ad Company
- Founder, Laugh-O-Gram Studio
- Lived in
- Kansas City
- Holmby Hills
- Dec 15, 1966
- Resting place
- Forest Lawn Memorial Park
on July 23, 2013