William Makepeace Thackeray
1811 – 1863
Who was William Makepeace Thackeray?
- People hate as they love, unreasonably.
- Come children, let us shut up the box and the puppets, for our play is played out.
- When you look at me, when you think of me, I am in paradise.
- Those who forgets their friends to follow those of a higher status are truly snobs.
- We who have lived before railways were made belong to another world. It was only yesterday, but what a gulf between now and then! Then was the old world. Stage-coaches, more or less swift, riding-horses, pack-horses, highwaymen, knights in armor, Norman invaders, Roman legions, Druids, Ancient Britons painted blue, and so forth -- all these belong to the old period. But your railroad starts the new era, and we of a certain age belong to the new time and the old one. We who lived before railways, and survive out of the ancient world, are like Father Noah and his family out of the Ark.
- The world is a looking glass and gives back to every man the reflection of his own face.
- Let a man who has to make his fortune in life remember this maxim: Attacking is the only secret. Dare and the world yields, or if it beats you sometimes, dare it again and you will succeed.
- Good humor is one of the best articles of dress one can wear in society.
- It is best to love wisely, no doubt: but to love foolishly is better than not to be able to love at all.
- Except for the young or very happy, I can't say I am sorry for anyone who dies.
Discuss this William Makepeace Thackeray biography with the community:
Use the citation below to add to a bibliography:
"William Makepeace Thackeray." Biographies.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2018. Web. 18 Aug. 2018. <https://www.biographies.net/people/en/william_makepeace_thackeray>.
- Jul 18, 1811
- Also known as
- William Thackeray
- W. Thackeray
- Makepeace William Thackeray
- Anne Becher
- Richmond Thackeray
- Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie
- Trinity College, Cambridge
- Charterhouse School
- University of Cambridge
- Lived in
- Dec 24, 1863