Who is Tony Hoare?
Sir Charles Antony Richard Hoare FRS FREng, commonly known as Tony Hoare or C. A. R. Hoare, is a British computer scientist. He developed the sorting algorithm quicksort in 1960. He also developed Hoare logic for verifying program correctness, and the formal language Communicating Sequential Processes to specify the interactions of concurrent processes and the inspiration for the occam programming language.
We need you!
Help us build the largest biographies collection on the web!
- Jan 11, 1934
- Also known as
- Sir Charles Antony Richard Hoare
- Charles Antony Richard Hoare
- United Kingdom
- Moscow State University
- Bachelor's degree, Merton College, Oxford
- Professor Emeritus, University of Oxford
- Professor of Computing, University of Oxford
(1977 - )
- Professor of Computing Science, Queen's University Belfast
(1968 - )
- Senior Researcher, Microsoft Corporation
- Elliott Brothers
(1960 - )
- Lived in
on July 23, 2013