1873 – 1954
Who was Colette?
Colette was the surname of the French novelist and performer Sidonie-Gabrielle Colette. She is best known for her novel Gigi, upon which Lerner and Loewe based the stage and film musical comedies of the same title.
- Can it be that chance has made me one of those women so immersed in one man that, whether they are barren or not, they carry with them to the grave the shriveled innocence of an old maid?
- Girls usually have a paper m‚chÈ face on their wedding day.
- Smokers, male and female, inject and excuse idleness in their lives every time they light a cigarette.
- It's nothing to be born ugly. Sensibly, the ugly woman comes to terms with her ugliness and exploits it as a grace of nature. To become ugly means the beginning of a calamity, self-willed most of the time.
- The woman who thinks she is intelligent demands equal rights with men. A woman who is intelligent does not.
- In the matter of furnishing, I find a certain absence of ugliness far worse than ugliness.
- But just as delicate fare does not stop you from craving for saveloys, so tried and exquisite friendship does not take away your taste for something new and dubious.
- My true friends have always given me that supreme proof of devotion, a spontaneous aversion for the man I loved.
- Researchers, with science as their authority, will be able to cut -- Animals up, alive, into small pieces, drop them from a great height to see if they are shattered by the fall, or deprive them of sleep for sixteen days and nights continuously for the purposes of an iniquitous monograph... Animal trust, undeserved faith, when at last will you turn away from us? Shall we never tire of deceiving, betraying, tormenting animals before they cease to trust us?
- I love my past, I love my present. I am not ashamed of what I have had, and I am not sad because I no longer have it.
More Quotes by Colette »
Use the citation below to add to a bibliography:
We need you!
Help us build the largest biographies collection on the web!
- Jan 28, 1873
- Also known as
- Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
- Sidonie-Gabriel Colette
- Sidonie-Gabrielle Colette
- Colette de l'Académie Goncourt
- French people
- Lived in
- Aug 3, 1954
- Resting place
- Père Lachaise Cemetery
on July 23, 2013