Who is George Will?
George Frederick Will is an American newspaper columnist, journalist, and author. He is a Pulitzer Prize-winner best known for his conservative commentary on politics. In 1986, the Wall Street Journal called him "perhaps the most powerful journalist in America", in a league with Walter Lippmann.
- If your job is to leaven ordinary lives with elevating spectacle, be elevating or be gone.
- The gap between ideals and actualities, between dreams and achievements, the gap that can spur strong men to increased exertions, but can break the spirit of others -- this gap is the most conspicuous, continuous land mark in American history. It is conspicuous and continuous not because Americans achieve little, but because they dream grandly. The gap is a standing reproach to Americans; but it marks them off as a special and singularly admirable community among the world's peoples.
- Today more Americans are imprisoned for drug offenses than for property crimes
- Modern man's capacity for destruction is quixotic evidence of humanity's capacity for reconstruction. The powerful technological agents we have unleashed against the environment include many of the agents we require for its reconstruction.
- I say statecraft is soulcraft. Just as all education is moral education because learning conditions conduct, most legislation is moral legislations because it conditions the action and the thought of the nation in broad and important spheres in life.
- The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised.
- The pursuit of perfection often impedes improvement.
- Football combines the two worst features of American life. It is violence punctuated by committee meetings.
- Pessimism is as American as apple pie. Frozen apple pie with a slice of processed cheese.
- Voters don't decide issues, they decide who will decide issues.
Use the citation below to add to a bibliography:
We need you!
Help us build the largest biographies collection on the web!
- May 4, 1941
- Also known as
- George F. Will
- George Frederick Will
- United States of America
- Princeton University
- University of Oxford
- University Laboratory High School
- Trinity College
- Lived in
on July 23, 2013