1894 – 1961
Who was James Thurber?
James Grover Thurber was an American cartoonist, author, journalist, and celebrated wit. Thurber was best known for his cartoons and short stories, published mainly in The New Yorker magazine and collected in his numerous books. One of the most popular humorists of his time, Thurber celebrated the comic frustrations and eccentricities of ordinary people.
- It's a na?ve domestic Burgundy without any breeding, but I think you'll be amused by its presumption.
- Philosophy offers the rather cold consolation that perhaps we and our planet do not actually exist; religion presents the contradictory and scarcely more comforting thought that we exist but that we cannot hope to get anywhere until we cease to exist. Alcohol, in attempting to resolve the contradiction, produces vivid patterns of Truth which vanish like snow in the morning sun and cannot be recalled; the revelations of poetry are as wonderful as a comet in the skies -- and as mysterious. Love, which was once believed to contain the Answer, we now know to be nothing more than an inherited behavior pattern.
- Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around in awareness.
- But what is all this fear of and opposition to Oblivion? What is the matter with the soft Darkness, the Dreamless Sleep?
- If a playwright tried to see eye to eye with everybody, he would get the worst case of strabismus since Hannibal lost an eye trying to count his nineteen elephants during a snowstorm while crossing the Alps.
- The wit makes fun of other persons; the satirist makes fun of the world; the humorist makes fun of himself, but in so doing, he identifies himself with people --that is, people everywhere, not for the purpose of taking them apart, but simply revealing their true nature.
- It is better to have loafed and lost than never to have loafed at all.
- I always begin at the left with the opening word of the sentence and read toward the right and I recommend this method.
- The only rules comedy can tolerate are those of taste, and the only limitations those of libel.
- Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility.
We need you!
Help us build the largest biographies collection on the web!
- Dec 8, 1894
- Also known as
- James Grover Thurber
- United States of America
- Ohio State University
- Lived in
- Nov 2, 1961
New York City
on July 23, 2013
Use the citation below to add to a bibliography:
"James Thurber." Biographies.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2021. Web. 29 Jul 2021. <https://www.biographies.net/people/en/james_thurber>.