Psychedelic rock, Theatrical Composer
1940 – 1980
Who was John Lennon?
John Winston Ono Lennon, MBE was an English musician, singer and songwriter who rose to worldwide fame as a founder member of the Beatles, the most commercially successful and critically acclaimed band in the history of popular music. With Paul McCartney, he formed a songwriting partnership that is one of the most celebrated of the 20th century.
Born and raised in Liverpool, as a teenager Lennon became involved in the skiffle craze; his first band, the Quarrymen, evolved into the Beatles in 1960. When the group disbanded in 1970, Lennon embarked on a solo career that produced the critically acclaimed albums John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band and Imagine, and iconic songs such as "Give Peace a Chance" and "Imagine". After his marriage to Yoko Ono in 1969, he changed his name to John Ono Lennon. Lennon disengaged himself from the music business in 1975 to raise his infant son Sean, but re-emerged with Ono in 1980 with the new album Double Fantasy. He was murdered three weeks after its release.
Lennon revealed a rebellious nature and acerbic wit in his music, writing, drawings, on film and in interviews. Controversial through his political and peace activism, he moved to New York City in 1971, where his criticism of the Vietnam War resulted in a lengthy attempt by Richard Nixon's administration to deport him, while some of his songs were adopted as anthems by the anti-war movement and the larger counterculture.
- Whatever gets you through the night is all right.
- I've had the boyhood thing of being Elvis. Now I want to be with my best friend, and my best friend's my wife. Who could ask for anything more?
- We were all on this ship in the sixties, our generation, a ship going to discover the New World. And the Beatles were in the crow's nest of that ship.
- The pressures of being a parent are equal to any pressure on earth. To be a conscious parent, and really look to that little being's mental and physical health, is a responsibility which most of us, including me, avoid most of the time because it's too hard.
- If being an egomaniac means I believe in what I do and in my art or my music, then in that respect you can call me that I believe in what I do, and I'll say it.
- All we are saying is give peace a chance...
- Work is life, you know, and without it, there's nothing but fear and insecurity.
- Lots of people who complained about us receiving the MBE received theirs for heroism in the war --for killing people. We received ours for entertaining other people. I'd say we deserve ours more.
- Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it.
- Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.
Use the citation below to add to a bibliography:
Discuss this John Lennon biography with the community:
We need you!
Help us build the largest biographies collection on the web!
- Oct 9, 1940
- Also known as
- John Winston Ono Lennon
- John Ono Lennon
- John Winston Lennon
- J. Lennon
- Plastic Ono Band
- John Ono Lennon, MBE
- John Winston Ono Lennon MBE
- Irish people in Great Britain
- United Kingdom
- Dovedale Junior School
- Dovedale Infant School
- Calderstones School
(1952 - 1957)
- Liverpool College of Art, main campus
- Lived in
- New York City
- Dec 8, 1980
New York City