1672 – 1729
Who was Richard Steele?
- To behold her is an immediate check to loose behavior; to love her is a liberal education.
- The marriage state, with and without the affection suitable to it, is the completest image of Heaven and Hell we are capable of receiving in this life.
- It is to be noted that when any part of this paper appears dull there is a design in it.
- Praise from an enemy is the most pleasing of all commendations.
- The insupportable labor of doing nothing.
- That man never grows old who keeps a child in his heart.
- Zeal for the public good is the characteristic of a man of honor and a gentleman, and must take the place of pleasures, profits and all other private gratification.
- I know of no manner of speaking so offensive as that of giving praise, and closing it with an exception.
- Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body. It is wholesome and bracing for the mind to have its faculties kept on the stretch.
- A healthy old fellow, who is not a fool, is the happiest creature living.
Use the citation below to add to a bibliography:
"Richard Steele." Biographies.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2021. Web. 17 Apr. 2021. <https://www.biographies.net/people/en/richard_steele>.