Alexei Nikolaevich, Tsarevich of Russia
1904 – 1918
Who was Alexei Nikolaevich, Tsarevich of Russia?
Alexei Nikolaevich of the House of Romanov, was the Tsesarevich and heir apparent to the throne of the Russian Empire. He was the youngest child and only son of Emperor Nicholas II and Empress Alexandra Feodorovna. He was born with hemophilia; his mother's reliance on the starets Grigori Rasputin to treat the disease helped bring about the end of the Romanov dynasty. After the February Revolution of 1917, he and his family were sent into internal exile in Tobolsk, Siberia. He was murdered alongside his parents, four sisters, and three retainers during the Russian Civil War by order of the Bolshevik government, though rumors that he had survived persisted until the 2007 discovery of his and one of his sister's remains. The family was formally interred on 17 July 1998—the eightieth anniversary of the murder—and were canonized as passion bearers by the Russian Orthodox Church in 2000.
- “Why aren’t I like other boys?”
- "When I am dead, I will not hurt anymore, will it Mama?...When I am dead, build me a little monument of stones in the woods."
- "I enjoy the sun and the beauty of summer as long as I can. Who knows whether one of these days I shall not be prevented from doing it?"[
- "Today is like yesterday and tomorrow will be the same as today. God, help us! Take pity of us!"~
- "Mama, don't forget to put a little monument on my tomb when I'm dead"
- "Now I have realized what the lie is. If I became a tsar, no one would ever dare to tell me a lie. I would have gotten the country under control."
- “Lord, have mercy on me!” and “Mama help me! Won’t you help me?”
- “…Our picnic yesterday was a success. We baked not only potatoes but apples as well. They were very appetizing. The apples were especially delicious…”
We need you!
Help us build the largest biographies collection on the web!
- Aug 12, 1904
- Also known as
- Alexei Nicholaevich Romanov
- Alexei Romanov
- Aleksey Nikolaeyvitch Romanov
- Tsarevich Alexei Nikolaevich of Russia
- Little One
- Eastern Orthodox Church
- Jul 17, 1918
- Resting place
- Peter and Paul Cathedral
on July 23, 2013
Use the citation below to add to a bibliography:
"Alexei Nikolaevich, Tsarevich of Russia." Biographies.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2021. Web. 29 Nov. 2021. <https://www.biographies.net/people/en/tsarevich_alexei_nikolaevich_of_russia>.