Karl Wilhelm Friedrich Schlegel
1772 – 1829
Who was Karl Wilhelm Friedrich Schlegel?
Karl Wilhelm Friedrich Schlegel was a German poet, literary critic, philosopher, philologist and indologist. With his older brother, August Wilhelm Schlegel, he was one of the main figures of the Jena romantics. He was a zealous promoter of the Romantic movement and inspired Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Adam Mickiewicz and Kazimierz Brodziński. Schlegel was a pioneer in Indo-European studies, comparative linguistics, in what became known as Grimm's law, and morphological typology. As a young man he was an atheist, a radical, and an individualist. Ten years later, the same Schlegel converted to Catholicism. Around 1810 he was a diplomat and journalist in the service of Metternich, surrounded by monks and pious men of society.
- Good drama must be drastic.
- An aphorism ought to be entirely isolated from the surrounding world like a little work of art and complete in itself like a hedgehog.
- Genius is, to be sure, not a matter of arbitrariness, but rather of freedom, just as wit, love, and faith, which once shall become arts and disciplines. We should demand genius from everybody, without, however, expecting it.
- Every uneducated person is a caricature of himself.
- Virtue is reason which has become energy.
- Irony is the form of paradox. Paradox is what is good and great at the same time.
- It is peculiar to mankind to transcend mankind.
- A critic is a reader who ruminates. Thus, he should have more than one stomach.
- In actual life every great enterprise begins with and takes its first forward step in faith.
- What is called good society is usually nothing but a mosaic of polished caricatures.
Use the citation below to add to a bibliography:
"Karl Wilhelm Friedrich Schlegel." Biographies.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2020. Web. 28 May 2020. <https://www.biographies.net/people/en/karl_wilhelm_friedrich_von_schlegel>.
Discuss this Karl Wilhelm Friedrich Schlegel biography with the community:
We need you!
Help us build the largest biographies collection on the web!
- Mar 1, 1772
- Also known as
- Von Schlegel, Karl Wilhelm Friedrich
- Friedrich Schlegel
- Friedrich von Schlegel
- Karl Wilhelm Friedrich von Schlegel
- Dorothea von Schlegel
(1804 - )
- Dorothea von Schlegel
- University of Göttingen
- Lived in
- Jan 12, 1829
on July 23, 2013