1822 – 1888
Who was Matthew Arnold?
Matthew Arnold was a British poet and cultural critic who worked as an inspector of schools. He was the son of Thomas Arnold, the famed headmaster of Rugby School, and brother to both Tom Arnold, literary professor, and William Delafield Arnold, novelist and colonial administrator. Matthew Arnold has been characterized as a sage writer, a type of writer who chastises and instructs the reader on contemporary social issues.
- Because thou must not dream, thou need not despair.
- With close-lipped Patience for our only friend, Sad Patience, too near neighbor to Despair.
- Resolve to be thyself: and know, that he who finds himself, loses his misery.
- Culture, then, is a study of perfection, and perfection which insists on becoming something rather than in having something, in an inward condition of the mind and spirit, not in an outward set of circumstances.
- Still bent to make some port he knows not where, still standing for some false impossible shore.
- Journalism is literature in a hurry.
- The working-class is now issuing from its hiding-place to assert an Englishman's heaven-born privilege of doing as he likes, and is beginning to perplex us by marching where it likes, meeting where it likes, bawling what it likes, breaking what it likes.
- Unquiet souls. In the dark fermentation of earth, in the never idle workshop of nature, in the eternal movement, yea shall find yourselves again.
- This strange disease of modern life, with its sick hurry, its divided aims.
- If experience has established any one thing in this world, it has established this: that it is well for any great class and description of men in society to be able to say for itself what it wants, and not to have other classes, the so-called educated and intelligent classes, acting for it as its proctors, and supposed to understand its wants and to provide for them. A class of men may often itself not either fully understand its wants, or adequately express them; but it has a nearer interest and a more sure diligence in the matter than any of its proctors, and therefore a better chance of success.
Use the citation below to add to a bibliography:
"Matthew Arnold." Biographies.net. STANDS4 LLC, 2019. Web. 22 Oct. 2019. <https://www.biographies.net/people/en/matthew_arnold>.